We get experiences from other humans as well as non-humans (life forms and non-life). A human to human relationship is much more matured and understood concept than human to object relationship. In order to design objects that would be good for humans, a model of human to human relationships could be a guide.
Learning from Human Relationships
- Outside the orbits – Attractive (model, beautiful person) – see once in a while; sensory feel – visual, audio …;
- Friends orbit – Interacting – talk to fewtimes in a week; interactive, two-way communication
- Family orbit – Relation – Emotional bonding;part of bigger group, we-are-together feeling
- Lover orbit – Love – partner; grows, lives together
- Self extension – part of – identification, extension of self
Products can be designed to go deeper in to the orbits. Closer to the human, more valueable it is. Sometimes, a product starts at the higher orbits and goes deeper with time. While it is also feasible that a product starts at a deeper level at the beginning.
”What can be done to deepen the product relationship with the human users. ”