Seth say’s it brilliantly : make products – “Remark”able ( “Purple Cow”, “Big M00”).
So that people will remark (include in their stories) and spread the good word. In other words, leverage users /viewers to expand your reach. Best products are ones which intrinsically help connect to others.
I agree but think “remark”able is not enough.
Why not ?
- I agree that users can be and should be leveraged (through their stories) to reach out to bigger audience.
- Stories are better than remarks.
- Remarks like comments are just passing. Stories are often told again and again. Moving stories involve the closest people to you (often yourself).
- You pass a remark on a stranger, while you introduce a friend, involve a family member, relate to a lover, and tell a autobiography.
- For more valueable introduction/involvement/ relation/ connection with the user and their world, one needs to do more than being remarkable.
Orbits of Experiences (how they can spread the word):
- Remarkable (Sensory) – “Wow!! did you see that… you must “
- Friendly (Interactive) – “Meet my best friend…”
- Family (emotional) – “our new family member …”
- Lover (relate) – “my partner… she understands me.”
- Self (connect) – “that changed me…a turning point in my life”
The above effects not just marketeers. A designer, maker/developer, marketeer, business owner, user, all need to realize that we humans value the world according to these kind of orbits of experiences.