Horses don’t get anything out of a race, but they need to work very hard to win every time it goes on the racetrack.
There are few ways to get a horse to run :
- Stick – push or hit it, use ‘pain’ as the key driver
- Habit – make a machine of the horse, use ‘inertia’ as the driver
- Carrot – Motivate , pull, use ‘pleasure’ as the key driver
While all three produce results in short term, in long run stick is inhuman and habit is insensitive ways. You are also a horse in someone else’s race.
Carrot is the most desire-able way. But ‘Carrot way’ works on the following principle:
- Horse is hungry
- Horse likes carrots when it is hungry
- Horse hunger is not one time thing (if not perennial)
- Carrot is reachable after doing effort (no use if the carrot is on another mountain)
While 1 and 3 in above list can be achieved by training and selection ( select for attitude), finding which kind of carrot will motivate and how it should be presented are important challenges of leadership (and life as well)